Respiratory System: Functions of Extreme Importance to the Human Body
Respiratory System Components
The respiratory system is composed of: two lungs and airways (pharynx, larynx, trachea and pulmonary bronchi).
Respiratory System Functions:
- Transfer oxygen, which is inhaled from the air, to the blood;
- Transfer carbon dioxide, which is present in large amounts in venous blood, to the exhaled air;
- Helps to regulate the acidity present in the fluids of the human body;
- It acts in the regulation of the pH of the blood;
- Filter, heat and humidify the air we breathe;
- It acts in the production of the sounds we emit, because the air flow leaves the lungs and goes to the vocal folds.